Ma'amoul Cookies (Stuffed Shortbread Cookie)
Ma'amoul are buttery, melt in your mouth, middle eastern cookies that are filled with dates, walnuts or pistachios. These are extra special because they are scrumptiously lowcarb, keto-friendly, grain free, sugar free & gluten free.
What you need:
- 1 [No] Sugar Cookie Mix
- 8 tbsp butter, unsalted, melted
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups walnuts or pistachios, chopped
- 2 1/2 tbsp sweetener
- 1 tbsp Orange Blossom water
- 1 tbsp Rose Water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
1. Prepare the [No] Sugar Cookie Mix as directed on package.
2. Roll dough into 18 balls; about 1-1/2 tbsp each and cool.
3. While the cookie dough is cooling, prepare the filling.
4. In your food processor add the nuts and sweetener and chop half way. Add in the orange blossom water, rose water and cinnamon and continue to chop to desired texture. [Don't grind them too much as you want the filling to still have chunks of nuts, and not turned into a paste.]
5. For molding the ma'amouls, place 1 dough ball in the palm of your hand and flatten it thin.
6. Add 1 tbsp of the filling to the center of the dough and bind the edges together. Pinch the dough to seal it.
7. Place the dough in the wooden ma'amoul mold, press it gently with your fingers to get the pattern on the cookie. If you don't have a traditional wooden mold, you can use a mini tart pan, cookie cutter, or fork to mold the dough.
8. Tap the wooden mold's edge on a cutting board until the ma'amoul drops out of it.
9. Place the ma'amoul cookies on a large baking sheet. Freeze them for at least 1 hour prior to baking.
10. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350*F. Bake for 15 min or until edges are lightly browned.
11. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before lightly dusting powdered sweetener with a sieve.
12. Store the Ma'amoul cookies in an airtight container.