Red Velvet Whoopie Pie (& Cookies)
Simple to make low-carb, sugar-free & grain-free Red Velvet Whoopie Pies with a light and fluffy cream cheese filling. Start by making soft red velvet cookies with the Classic Yellow Cake Mix and sandwich them together with the creme filling.
What you need:
For the Cake:
- 1 Classic Yellow Cake Mix
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- Red food coloring, the more you add the brighter red you get
For the Filling:
- 8-oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sweetener
- 2 tbsp liquid; milk, heavy cream, water for thinning
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Tear open one bag of the Classic Yellow Cake Mix into a medium bowl.
- Mix in cocoa powder and baking soda.
- Combine the wet ingredients; butter, egg, heavy cream, sour cream, vanilla extract, white vinegar, food coloring and mix until well blended.
- Use a large cookie scoop to portion dough onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool before transferring them onto a wire rack.
- Once cookies and filling are cool, assemble Whoopi pies.