Namoura aka Basbousa is a semolina based cake, topped with almonds & soaked with an aromatic syrup. Thanks to the Classic Yellow Cake Mix, we can now enjoy a lowcarb, keto-friendly, sugar-free and gluten-free version of this middle eastern treat!
What you need:
Classic Yellow Cake Mix
1/4 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut flakes
8 tbsp butter, melted
1 cup sour cream
handful of sliced almonds to top with
1 cup allulose
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp rose water* optional
- Prepare the simple syrup by combining the allulose, water and lemon juice in a small pot over medium heat. Stir every few minutes until allulose is completely dissolved and syrup thickens as it bubbles, about 15 minutes.
- Combine Classic Yellow Cake Mix with the unsweetened, shredded coconut flakes, butter & sour cream.
- Spread the batter in a medium tray, about 7"x11".
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut into even squares with a wet knife and place a sliced almond in the center of each square.
- Bake for 35-40 min and remove when the top is golden. The edges will brown faster–if at 40 min the center does not look browned, broil it for 1-2 minutes. Keep a close eye as it will brown fast! Remember every oven bakes differently so this is general guidance.
- When done baking, pour the cool syrup on the hot namoura.
- This MUST set and cool (not in the fridge) completely before you attempt to remove a piece or it will crumble.