Low-Carb Lebanese Meat Pie
These keto and gluten-free Lebanese inspired meat pies can be packed with your favorite low carb fillings! Here we filled them with beef and spices. Make them large enough for a lunch/dinner portion or smaller to serve as appetizers. This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
- 1 batch of the Dough Mix
- 1 pound of Ground meat, 85%
- 1 medium onion
- 1.5 tbsp salt
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp red pepper powder, we use either Aleppo pepper or Sichuan Red Chili Powder
- *Optional: Roasted pine nuts
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat add the ground beef. Brown the meat for 10-12 minutes. Add in onions for 3 minutes. They should start to turn translucent. Add in salt, red pepper flakes, and allspice powder (to taste). Continue to cook for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the meat is cooking, prepare the dough according to the directions on the back of the mix. Divide the dough into 6-8 equal sized balls for larger pies. You can roll out the dough with either your hands or a roller. Before rolling, spray your workstation with avocado oil. Place parchment paper on your dough and roll it out into a rectangle, similar to the size of your silicone mat or parchment paper. Cut out the dough into 5 inch circles. You may use a dough press if you have one. If the dough dries as you are preparing them, use oil or water to soften the dough to stretch.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the filling in the center. Grab 2 ends and bring them over the filling. Pinch the dough as you go to create a seal, stop at the center. If the dough does not seal easily, wet fingertips and pinch the ends together. Bring the last side up and pinch the center and the 2 sides down. Spray tops with avocado oil. Place the meat pies on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet. Let the meat pies rest while the oven is preheating.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes or until they start turning lightly golden brown. Serve them warm or at room temperature.