Quiche Lorraine with a Keto Pie Crust
Did you know that the difference between a Quiche and a Quiche Lorraine is simply the omission of bacon? Quiche Lorraine is an open pie filled with eggs, cream and bacon. Whether you serve it for breakfast or brunch, hot or cold this low carb take on an otherwise classic quiche recipe is a winner!
What you need:
- 1 portion of the Dough mix, ~1-1/2 cups
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
- 3 strips of bacon chopped, cooked
- Half of a small onion, diced
- 3 eggs, large
- 1 tbsp jalapeño, chopped
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp allspice
*Recipe based on using an 8" pan. You can use a tart pan with a removable bottom, or a round pie pan.
Prepare the Crust
- Prepare the homemade pie crust by combining the dough mix with required butter.
- Press the dough into the pan with your fingers to mold to the pan. Freeze for about 30 minutes, meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350˚F with the rack in the middle.
- If using a tart pan with a removable bottom, place it on a rimmed baking sheet (to avoid the filling spilling out).
- Blind-bake the crust at 350˚F for about 20 minutes or until the tart is mostly baked through and very light golden in color. Optional: Line the inside of the crust with parchment paper and fill the inside with pie weights. If you don't have pie weights, you can also use dried beans or rice. This ensures that the crust bakes all the way through and prevents the bottom of the crust from getting soggy.
- Remove from the oven, remove the weights and parchment. If you did not use weights, lightly press down the center of the crust before filling.
Prepare the Filling
- While the crust is in the oven, preheat a skillet over medium heat and add the chopped bacon. Cook, stirring often until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp. Remove bacon to a separate dish.
- Add the diced onions to skillet with a little bit of oil and cook stirring often until the onions are golden.
- In a medium bowl whisk 3 eggs, 1 cup half and half, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, and 1/4 tsp allspice. Whisk together.
- Stir in the cheese, prepared bacon and onion then pour the filling into the pre-baked crust.
Bake the Quiche
- Bake the quiche in a preheated 350˚F oven for about 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool slightly before serving and garnish with chives if desired.